Using a combination of essential oils for aromatherapy in pregnancy, which are safe to use throughout throughout the pregnancy can alleviate some of the less pleasant effects of the changes experienced during pregnancy.
A normal dilution of essential oils to carrier oil is 2%, but during pregnancy this is reduced to 1% as the oils can pass across the placenta.
One of the first signs of pregnancy can be fatigue & tiredness, lasting up to 12 to 14 weeks. Sleep is the solution. The following essential oils can help:
- 2 drops of Mandarin essential oil
- 1 drop of Lavender essential oil
- 1 drop of Ylang Ylang essential oil
These essential oils could be added to a warm (not hot) bath at the end of the day.
For help to sleep, perhaps to overcome insomnia due to broken sleep caused by the need to pass urine more frequently, heartburn and later, the baby moving at night, a mixture of the following essential oils may be included in a warm (not hot) bath just before bed:
- Tangerine essential oil
- Neroli essential oil
- Lavender essential oil
To help relieve the sensation on nausea, massages for aromatherapy in pregnancy may include:
- Ginger essential oil
- Lemon essential oil
Also, after your aromatherapy massage
- 1 drop of Peppermint essential oil on a pillow for 3 nights should also help.
To alleviate the symptoms of indigestion and flatulence using aromatherapy in pregnancy techniques consider
- gentle massage with Mandarin essential oil
- a fennel essential oil mixture can be made up to massage the abdomen several times a day.
For sore or swollen breasts during pregnancy an aromatherapy in pregnancy approach may include use of a compress with the following essential oils laid across the breasts:
- 2 drops of Lavender essential oil
- 2 drops of Geranium essential oil
Aromatherapy in pregnancy may include use of essential oils to ease the effects of varicose veins. For example:
- Cypress essential oil has an astringent effect on the whole venous system & emotionally helps to balance the mind & alleviate anxieties.
- Geranium essential oil encourages the circulation of blood.
Aromatherapists offering aromatherapy in pregnancy treatments using essential oils may suggest thathaemorrhoids or piles are better avoided than alleviated. If they do occur a cream can be made with Cypress essential oil & Geranium essential oil and a tube of KY jelly. This combination of KY jelly and aromatherapy will alleviate and act as a preventative.
A successful mixture of essential oils for stretch marks can be given to expectant mothers. Stretch marksgenerally occur on the lower & upper abdomen, thighs & buttocks. An aromatherapy in pregnancy blend of essential oils to minimize stretch marks may include a mixture of almond oil, wheatgerm oil, borage seed oil & carrot oil with the most uplifting oil of orange blossom or Neroli essential oil.